Monday, November 10, 2014

11/10 Veggie soup and Paraguayan soup

When you read the title I'm sure you though ; two soups together? Well actually the paraguayan soup is solid, is a kind of corn bread but with cheese and onions.
On Mondays I always need to eat soup, I don't know maybe because it was a tradition in my family and brought me memories of my childhood; so even my husband is not a fan of soups, I make them every week, at least once!

Veggie Soup

Ingredientes:
- 2 carrots peeled and chopped
- 2 finely minced garlic
- 2 celerys leaves? chopped
- 1 tomatoes chopped
- half medium onion chopped
- 2 small potatoes peeled and chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth
- oregano, about 1/2 spoon (6 leaves)
- 1/2 cup jazmine rice
- salt and pepper
- oil aproximately 2 spoons

Heat the oil in a stockpot over medium-low heat. 
When is hot add the carrots, garlic, celery, and onions; cook for 7 minutes until are soften. Add the chicken broth, salt, pepper. Cover to boil for 5 minutes, then add the potatoes and tomatoes and the rice, boil until the rice is ready. Turn off the heat and add the chopped oregano.


I used chicken broth Costco brand 


So happy with my herb plant i bought yesterday (oregano, thyme and rosemary) 



Paraguayan Soup

There are many recipes online of Paraguayan soup, but the best is and always will be the one made in Paraguay with paraguayan cheese, pork fat and in the firewood oven....ahhhh memories...
This time I'm going to try one a little healthier and with ingredients we can find in US. Usually I use here Queso fresco that is the closest one to paraguayan cheese, but today I'll use cottage cheese and see what happens. LOL

Ingredients:
- 1 medium onion
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 eggs
- 8 oz cottage cheese
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder

Preheat the oven 375 degrees F. Grease and add a spoon of flour to cover a pan. Set aside.
In a large saucepan melt the butter over low heat and add onions and salt. Cook, stirring occasionally until the onions are soft, 5 minutes or more. Remove from heat, wait to cool down a little bit.


Then add the cottage cheese and the eggs yolk, mix very well, and slowly start adding the cornmeal and milk.


In a clean bowl place the white eggs and using a hand mixer, beat the eggs and soft peaks form, around 3 or 4 minutes. Then gently add the eggs to the cornmeal mixture.


Pour the mix in the pre grease pan and bake for 35 minutes or until a knife insterted in the center come out clean.


Remove from oven, wait to cool down a little bit and serve with the soup.


Here is the piece I ate, I like it...very moist, but next time for my healthier version I'll use less butter. Of course I forgot to take the pic of the soup, sorry :)



Note: In Paraguay this dish is very traditional to eat with barbeque (asado) and yucca, or also like this case to serve with a light soup.







No comments:

Post a Comment