Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Turkey chilli (my version)

According to my meal plan for the week I supposed to cook turkey meatballs today, but a trip to the car service office this afternoon make me change my plans (need to change my car brakes); so it was so much easier to use the crock pot for a quick dinner.

I looked for a recipe just to remind myself about timing and some measurements but I ended doing my own version.

I don't eat spicy food, it is funny because many Americans think as a Latina I should like spicy, but in Paraguay the most spicy we eat is black pepper and a knorr hot sauce; anyways the recipe I found it looks very spicy, and asked for 1 whole jalapeño, and I was afraid it will be to spicy, so I just used 1/4 of it, but the funny part was, the recipe asked 1/8 tsp of cayene pepper and by mistake I put 1 tsp!  I had no idea cayenne pepper was that spicy....after all it was ok, less jalapeño, more cayenne, the result was spicy but still good, so it is up to you in how spicy do dou you like.

At the bottom it is the link of the original recipe if you want to try that one :)

Ingredients: 

- 1 pound ground turkey
- 4 tomatoes (the recipe ask for can diced tomatoes, I prefer naturals)
- 1 bell pepper
- 1 onion
- 1 jalapeño (I ended using it just quarter of this)
- 4 spoons tomatoes paste
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 1/2 salt
- 1 tsp cayene pepper (you may want to reduce this)
- 1 tsp chilli powder
-  4 spoons ketchup (my idea)
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 can kidney beans
- cilantro, green onions and cheese for topping




Place a saucepan in a medium heat, drizzle olive oil on it and cook the turkey until brown, about 10 minutes or more, then transfer to the crockpot.  In the same pan put the onion and garlic, cook for 8 minutes until they are soft, transfer to the crockpot.


Chop the rest of the vegetables and add the spices, beans, ketchup and broth. Set the crockpot for 4 hours in low, and just go to do your errands.




Here is is the final result, serve warm, top with cilantro, green onions and cheese. I also cooked some brown rice to go with it. It was good, it had that kick in your mouth at the end of the bite....try it and enjoy it :)



http://www.eat-yourself-skinny.com/2013/09/the-best-turkey-chili-youll-ever-taste.html

No comments:

Post a Comment